Wednesday 22 September 2010

How I made my Basic Extruder -

I Just thought  I would put up a few photos showing my first basic extruder, it's working very well and I have used off-the shelf Aluminium 16mm clamps -

You can get these from many places for just a few pounds each (£1.50, $2, 2Euro).

These both hold it to my Repstrap frame and also constrain the PEEK/PTFE hot-end.

It also has the added advantage of cooling the hot-end PEEK, so less of the heat travels up towards the extruder - all good things.



It's just a basic Pinch at the moment, I plan to print a Geared Extruder over the next few days and use the same 16mm Aluminium mounts on that.

RichRap.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    You say the clamps are available at many places, but could you identify a few. I quickly checked Ebay and didn't find any.

    Thanks,
    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Sorry I should have provided a few links -

    I got mine from Zapp Automation - http://www.slidesandballscrews.com/mounting-accesories-precision-round-rail-mounts-c-48_50.html

    I may try this company next time I need some - http://www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk/sections/29/Rail%20Mounting%20Accessories/

    And this one on Ebay is 20mm - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/x1pce-ID20mm-Spindle-Motor-Mount-Proxxon-/220669713974?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3360f09e36#ht_985wt_926

    They are known as 'round rail mounts' or as the ebay one 'spindle motor mount'

    Let me know if you use one or find another use for one - I am thinking about using one as the start of a hot-end Heater-block, if I can find a 6mm or 8mm one...

    RichRap

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.